Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Part 1: Finding Out

I can still remember the night like it was yesterday. It was a calm March night in 2011 in American Fork. Leaving the Timpanogos temple, I will never forget that night when I truly met my sweet Kooper for the first time. Because of the sacredness of this memory and value it is worth to me, it isn't one I desire to share on social media.  But little did I know, I would be telling this to Tyler for the 5 years until he came. I never knew the exact reason as to why I claimed our first son would be special and I was always trying to search for answers. After months of trying to put it all together, my answer finally came February 14, 2016.

FINDING OUT

October 1, 2015

            It was just like any other working Thursday. Got up. Made some breakfast. Got ready for work. Went to work. You know... the usual. After work that day, Tessa and I planned to run some errands because we were wanting to make a Halloween craft. Somehow I brought up the conversation of getting pregnant and having babies. Looking back now, I most likely bought it up because I will be completely honest, I had "baby hungry" written all over me.

As we stood in line waiting to check out, I asked her "So I know this is way personal, but are you and Ben trying?" She gave me the most cheesiest grin and it took her (what felt like 10 minutes) a really long time to respond with a very exciting "Yes!" So of course I was suspicious. We went on talking about motherhood and pregnancy and as were pulling into our next stop, Tessa turns to me, "Katie. I am pregnant". Well I am sure for those who really know me would know my reaction. Eyes went big. I screamed for joy. Gripped the steering wheel.  Cried. Screamed some more. Giggled. Any who, I was thrilled I was getting a new niece/nephew!

In hearing the news about her and Ben expecting, I really just wanted to make the rest of the night about them and the celebration of their little one on the way. It just so happened though that I was going to take a test that night. I was a couple of days late and and the previous week I had the incredible dizzy spells and just felt "off". Tyler and I had been not preventing for five months. I really doubted that there was any chance I was pregnant, but of course just wanted to put my mind at ease and see that negative line.

Ben and Tessa were at our house and both were in the living room. I had decided to just go to the bathroom, take the test, see a negative and move on with being excited about the neice/nephew that was coming! Yea. That didn't happen. I kept blinking. I wiped my eyes. Looked at the test. Looked away. Looked again. I realized that this was not a dream. There was a big fat positive. After about only a minute, I scream, "TESSSAAAAA. OH MY HEAVENS GET IN HERE!" I was shaking excitement. I had asked her about three times if she saw what I saw. We cried tears of joy, hugged each other and both were kind of in shock of just what happened.

And then it hit me. Ha whoops. Tyler is at school. Not only does he not know his sister is expecting, but he doesn't know I am and he wasn't the first to know.  Typically, this isn't how it should go down, but if you know me, I never do things the "normal" way. I told Tessa we had to run to Wal-Mart before Tyler got home. I still wasn't convinced and got two more tests. What is even worse... I was too excited to wait and took the test in the Walmart bathroom. HA! Gross I know. Tessa was such a good sport through all of that let me tell ya. I told her I needed to get him an outfit and pronounce it that night because I would be too excited to hold it in.

On our way home from the store, we planned it all out. We were going to walk Ben and Tessa out when Tyler got home and Ben was going to pronounce that they were expecting since Tessa shared the news with me. I was going to later surprise Tyler that him and I were expecting as well. Well the only part we failed at completely was telling Ben our plan.

Tyler gets home around 9 pm and we all decided to take Daisy for a walk around the block. As were walking, I turned to Ben and said, "Alright Ben. Since Tessa shared the news with me. Go ahead and share with Tyler!" With an extremely confused look on his face, Ben goes, "Oh Tyler. Congrats! You and Katie are expecting!" I JUST ABOUT POOPED ABOUT MY HEART! Tyler just blankly stared at Ben and Tessa. Tessa and I get creative really quick and say, "No no no. Just kidding! Ben and I are expecting! All while were trying to hint to Ben with big eyes and arm nudges to go along with it. Here is Ben with a very concerning confused look and there is Tyler. Pale, confused, dazed, and speechless. Haha whoops we totally played that out all wrong! Luckily, by the time the walk was over we convinced Tyler that indeed it was just Tessa who was expecting.

We headed to bed and now was my turn to try this a second time around and surprise him with our news of expecting. As we were just getting into bed, I asked him to grab me a glass of water. I played out a onesie, the pregnancy test, and a little note. As I called Tyler back in, I filmed the whole thing. He walked back in, looked at it, looked at me, looked at it again and that pale and confused look all came back. "Is this Tessa's?" he asked. "No honey. That is mine! We are having a baby!". Again with a confused look, "Both of you? Wait. Really?".

Needless to say, we celebrated for maybe like 1 minute. Tyler gotten bed and stared at the ceiling. He said, "What the crap just happened tonight? I gotta go on a run". So here I am at 11pm just laying in bed by myself, hoping my husband comes back within an hour. Luckily he did. I couldn't blame him though. Poor guy! As the week went on, we became more eager and excited for the tiny human we had created that was growing every hour of every day inside my belly. After 11 years of courtship, we  were finally getting one of our own. We couldn't believe in just 9 short months, we would own the title of Mom and Dad. I knew this baby was going to be my "special" one, although I couldn't quite pin point how yet.

The very first test, Daisy, and Tessa's feet lol

Proof that I did take this at Walmart. There is the floor. 

How I broke the news to Tyler.

A very forced smile from the soon-to-be dad before his much needed run lol. 




No comments:

Post a Comment